Friday 29 April 2016

2 Handlotions Review

[gallery ids="1198,1195" type="rectangular"]

[gallery ids="1239,1234" type="rectangular"]

I don't know why, but during spring time my hands always get dryer than any other time of the year. So during this beautiful time of the year I use a lot of hand lotions. Today I wanted to review two new ones I got. Vaseline's Intensive Care and Neutrogena Handcreme unscented. Let's see how much my thirsty hands like them.


Vaseline Healthy Hands Stronger Nails


IMG_2489

 

Up first is the one by Vaseline, which promises healthy hands (whatever that means) and stronger nails and it speaks for itself when I say it contains Vaseline.

It also contains keratin, which is usually seen in hair care products, but is also great for your skin! I was not very good in biology, but I've learned that the outermost layer of our skin is mostly made out of keratin and it keeps the cells of your skin functioning properly. It makes the skin firm and water resistant, which seems very cool to me. Aparently keratin in skin care helps to restore the cells, or rather heals it. I have to warn you though, this hand lotion contains Hydrolyzed keratin and I have found people who say that hydrolyzed keratin has been modified to the point where it has lost its healing properties and people who say that it still works. I'll come back to that when I find out more about it.

Now for the real test: how do my hands like it?

IMG_2491IMG_2486

[gallery ids="1200,1199" type="square" columns="1"]

I'm not going to lie, I don't really like the feel of Vaseline, so I don't really know what was going through me when I decided to buy this. However, I do kinda like this hand lotion. It smells really nice, like sweet Vaseline, I don't know any other way to describe it, and it leaves my hands feeling soft.

Even so, I don't think it does what it promises. My hands might be softer after I use this hand lotion, but it doesn't heal my dry hands, nor deeply moisturizes them. It rather conceals the dryness untill I wash my hands, after which they feel even dryer, or so it seems. It also promises not to leave a greasy feel behind, but it does (although that might be my dislike for the typical Vaseline feel).

About the stronger nail promise, I haven't noticed a difference at all. 10x stronger nails in 2 weeks? I call bullshit. Just like the hydrolyzed keratin discussion, the stronger nail discussion is also going on. I've read reviews from people who say it works almost immediately, people who notice nothing (like me) and even people who say it makes their nails weaker.

Conclusion: While this might not be the hand lotion for me, it might be a good one for you. If your skin is normal, or slightly dry, if you don't mind the feel of Vaseline on your skin, if you want a lotion that is very unlikely to irritate your skin and want a sweet smelling hand lotion, this one might be the right one for you.

Neutrogena Handcreme


IMG_2477

This hand lotion by Neutrogena is, from what I could tell, one of their best selling products. There are several reasons for that. And since I don't really have any cons to go with this product, I figured I would give you a list with reasons why this is such a great product.

First of all this hand lotion is suitable for all skintypes. The lotion has gotten the NEA Seal of Acceptance by the National Eczema Association (US). This means that the lotion has been tested to see how suitable it is for people with eczema and sensitive skin. The Neutrogena lotion has gotten a 4/5, which is really good. It contains potential irritants at concentration levels thought to be insignificant for most patients, which is also very good. If you suffer from eczema, definitely check out the NEA, because you get a very good overview of accepted products.

Coming in second I have to mention the packaging. I always mention packaging, because to me it plays a big role when it comes to my impression of a product. The Neutrogena lotion is packaged in a sturdy tube (way sturdier than the Vaseline one) and the tube is pretty pocket sized, which makes it perfect to sit in my handbag. The packaging is also very hygienic, which is great for people with sensitive skin.

IMG_2484IMG_2492

Then onto the lotion itself. The consistancy is like a very thick paste, which kind of melts when you spread it out on your skin. Neutrogena claims that you only need a "dab" to cover your entire hands and I can confirm that you don't need a lot. The European and American packaging are a little bit different. The American contains more lotion (75ml) than the European (50ml), which isn't a problem at all, but the European packaging proudly claims that one tube is enough for 200 applications, which makes me wonder why the American packaging doesn't say that there are 300 applications inside. That's just me I guess.

The lotion is not greasy after you apply it, but it does leave a strange feeling behind. I can't really describe it, but it hasn't been bothering me that much, I just wanted to point that out.

The only claim I'm not really supporting is the "long-lasting/24H" one. I don't really notice the long-lasting effect. Sure, it moisturizes my hands very well, but I apply it 2-3 times a day. But that is the only "minor" thing I found and it could even be because of my incredibly dry skin.

After hearing all those great things about this hand lotion, you might be wondering how much you would have to pay for such a wonderfull product. Well, in dollars it retails for $4.69 and in Europe € 5,99. Both pretty cheap if you ask me, especially for such a nice product. 

 

 

2 comments: